5.13.2008

Final Thoughts to Wrap Up the Reading Portfolio



Reflecting on my growth as a reading throughout this course, I think the most invaluable experiences I’ve had came from talking with my colleagues in class, learning from their experiences and thoughts. Because I am a pre-service teacher, I imagined the issues that exist when students are silenced and feel disconnected from their classroom because of their ‘non-mainstream’ backgrounds but hearing from teachers who have first hand experiences helped me learn of these realities in a closer, more ‘real’ way. The open-mindedness of the learning community was essential. Many of our commitments to inquiry paralleled those I envisioned students in ‘my own’ classroom participating in. I have developed over the past few years a true passion and commitment to being a lifelong learning and recognize that even in my mightiest/most-bright moments, I still have so much to learn and that this learning can come from those around me. My thoughts must be pushed, deconstructed, reevaluated, reshaped, molded based on changes in thought and enlightenment. It’s almost impossible to imagine this change without the ‘taking up’ of controversial issues or without engaging in conversation that may be perceived as challenging or one which a teacher should shy away from. That’s not the world we live in. So much is presented to us as we read the world on a daily basis, regardless of whether we want to be engaged or otherwise. The world does not shelter us from it’s realities, we shelter ourselves, creating bias, prejudice, and favoritism which creates advantages for some and isolates others. That is not the classroom I seek to exist in. Through interaction and collaboration students can see all as co-learners, valuing each other’s contributions and cooperation. Respect for all is my bottom line. Respect for human being, including oneself, in hopes that that mentality is then taken outside of the classroom as each exists in their other discourses, working toward the accomplishment of social justice. It is my commitment to do so each day as I assist students as they embark on the empowering journey of learning to read and write, and live in this world.

No comments: