5.13.2008

"Becoming a Reader" image







I saw this image on Flickr.com and it began a thought train about how beliefs are shaped and beginning at what age. This image of a young child 'flipping through' his mother's (assumed) magazines and books spoke to me as a reminder that we are 'being shaped' by our environment as soon as we exist in that environment. This also jogged my memory back to what I considered a very confusing series of conversations that took place between my mother and I (eventually, they included my sister, whom is four years younger than me, when she was deemed 'old enough' I suppose.) I can recall being no more than 10 years old and having my mom ask, "Why do you think that is the way it is?" after we viewed a television commercial or magazine ad that portrayed women in a demeaning or sexist manner. I began picking up on what she was 'getting at' by asking these questions, as she continued to do this 'exercise' with me, incorporating matters of racism, power, persuasion, violence, or favoritism. This I now identify as the earliest 'shapings' of which I hold a memory in my mind. I'm thankful she took the time to do this with me. I can't imagine my life and the experiences I've had without having been taught to deconstruct messages that are thrown at us everyday, looking for the 'hidden agenda', or undertones that segregate, put down, marginalize or deem groups or individuals.

No comments: